Friday, September 3, 2010

Starting a Church

God has me in training, I know. I don't know what your opinion is but some are trained in seminary, some are not. I happen to be one of those who gets on the job training in almost every area of her life. When I was at SC, I could have had a minor in music ministry. I just needed one more class.

I have started many different organizations since grade school but starting a campus ministry is a new experience. The paperwork doesn't faze me but starting a ministry brings with it a different set of questions and issues. The blessing of starting a campus ministry here is that we already have the physical infrastructure ready - a room, music instruments and projector equipment.

Some of the issues I've had to consider are these, knowing that the ultimate answer is GOD WILL LEAD:
- Target Outreach Group?
Yes, we are called to preach the gospel to everyone but God lays on each of our hearts a burden for certain people. For now, it's the group of people who are tired of religion and a bunch of rules, but want a closer relationship with God. They need a revelation of God's love and grace, as everyone does. How do I get everyone plugged in? Small groups and what types to offer.

- Sermon Series?
There is so much I want to communicate to the students but where to begin. The biggest issue I want to tell them about is the love & grace of God, followed by their new identity in Christ. I think that whether or not I use someone's study series, God will lead me.

- Altar Call? Prayer Ministry?
I am open to having an altar call after the message, if we're led to. I'm waiting for more (peer) prayer ministers to identify themselves. I know that students will need to share their responses, questions or prayer needs.

- Fellowship Time?
College students spell LOVE as FOOD. As soon as we are registered and recognized, I will be writing to all the area churches to see if any of them would be willing to provide snacks/refreshments between 8:15 & 8:45 pm.

- Bibles?
Do we give out bibles or not? Do I purchase full-sized or compact-sized bibles? On other's advice, I purchased a case of full-sized paperback bibles to start with. We will now also need a rubber stamp to mark them as property of the fellowship. The compact bibles are really nice but perhaps that will be another month's purchase. Perhaps these compact bibles will be ones we could give away as gifts.

- Software & Licensing
I am not going to use worship music illegally and I remember some of the information from my Music in Worship class with Steve Rankin. I'm thankful that a student came up to me to say he has the software for the lyrics and bible verses. We just need to purchase the license. We will start with the smallest license since we are in the infant stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment