Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The beginning

With a new blog, there comes many decisions of what to share and what not to share here. I wonder should I post my testimony but I have so many. Where does one begin and where does one stop?

I created this blog mainly for friends who are following my growth and my walk with the Lord that has led me into ministry. There are those of us who didn't "choose" to be doing "ministry" but who obey His commandment to preach the gospel and make disciples of all men.

Let's put it this way: I stumbled on my ministry calling. You read in my profile that I never went to seminary. My first "sermon" was on the spot, unexpected and unplanned. I also had to give it in a language I wasn't fluent in - Cantonese. I preached at a church in Shiqi, Guangdong to a group of pianists who had gathered for a masterclass. I remember what I preached from - Psalm 33:1-3. We play because He loved us and He accepts our playing no matter how many mistakes and no matter how many criticisms we receive. There is no condemnation for us. We are in the forefront of the battle so we must remember our role in warfare. This was in June 2008.

I went to Beijing in the fall of 2008 and many things happened there too. Two events made a big impact on me. Firstly, I stumbled upon a house church there. I will not give details here. It has led me to join a house church here in the USA too. Secondly, my classmate gave me a book on being a missionary in Asia as a farewell present. It was my only wrapped Christmas present that year (I had many other gifts - time with my family and close friends). I read it and wondered why that book was given to me. I could understand the missionaries' struggles of language, culture and climate very well - and thought, I don't have those problems. You must be thinking, just you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment